Clinical Pharmacist Reviewer
Job DescriptionFacilitates efforts in the development of medical pharmacy solutions programs. Supports drug utilization review (DUR) efforts by reviewing physician prescribing patterns, consulting with physicians regarding these patterns using evidence-based best practices, working closely with internal staff in the refinement of the medical pharmacy management solutions programs, providing consultation on pharmacy issues to clinical operations representatives and facilitating the successful implementation of these programs for customer organizations. Primary activities center on discussions with practicing physicians (and other prescribers) to consult on prescribing of specialty medications. Coordinates with operations, clinical, medical, reporting and other internal departments as needed.
- Pharmacy Data Review: Regularly reviews and monitors prescription claims data and prescribing practices identified as outliers by internal and/or external analysis of pharmacy claims data.
- Telephonic Consultations/Interventions: Contacts physicians and prescribers identified as needing consultation to provide coaching on prescribing practices that have been identified as outliers. Reviews prior authorizations and determine opportunities for interventions.
- Intervention Tracking and Documentation: Tracks contact attempts and contacts per operations procedures. Documents content of and results of consultations as defined in operations procedures; maintains records as required.
- Intervention Refinements: Collaborates on the refinement of consultation scripting; solicits and utilizes input from those contacted toward scripting improvements.
- Operations: Contributes to the success of the operations of the pharmacy program by assisting with the implementation and management of both written and verbal communications to physicians and prescribers and maintenance of the edits and data elements that support the edits. Is available for consultation on pharmacy-related questions and issues for others within the organization (e.g. health coaches, care managers, etc.). Updates and maintains program engine, coding, consultation sheets and outreach program as needed.
- Quality Improvement: Contributes to program improvements by using continuous quality improvement processes, by being proactive in identifying improvement opportunities and by contributing on-going consultation and collaboration with product leaders.
- Medical/Clinical: Upholds clinical integrity of pharmaceutical solutions by staying up-to-date on medication information, contributing to the identification of pharmacy program best practices, collaborating with Medical Directors, Medical Dept, and Clinical Dept and provides pharmacy expertise within the organization.
- Other duties as assigned. Contributes creative solutions to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness of pharmacy team.
General Job Information
TitleClinical Pharmacist Reviewer
Job FamilyPharmacy Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date2/14/2020
Date Requisition Created2/14/2020
EducationBachelors: Pharmacy (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredRPH - Registered Pharmacist - Pharmacy
License and Certifications - PreferredPharmD - Doctor Of Pharmacy, State Licensure - Pharmacy
Other Job Requirements
- 5 years' experience in clinical pharmacy with emphasis in specialty pharmacy and oncology.
- Managed care pharmaceutical service experience plus experience with coaching physicians and prescribers on medication issues, especially on specialty medications.
- Knowledge of current research related to specialty medications.
- Strong research and implementation skills in practical settings.
- Analytical skills which can translate into practical and pragmatic recommendations.
- Strong team orientation with respect for all members.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- People skills are essential that allow for the successful consultation with physicians, prescribers and pharmacists and for successful collaboration with company employees and external vendors who do not directly report to this job.
- Must be comfortable with using computers and the internet; basic skills with Microsoft office products and ability to quickly learn proprietary systems.
- Managed care experience preferred.-Experience with pharmaceuticals in a pharmaceutical sales, retail, or managed care environment, including contact with physicians/prescribers preferred.
- Management experience in the coordination of and collaboration of work teams preferred.
- Managed pharmacy benefits organizations preferred.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you