Manager of Appeals
Richmond VA 23233
Job DescriptionManages all Appeal activities, staff and reporting within an assigned unit of Magellan Health based on federal, state, accreditation and contractual agreements and standards.
- Manages appeal processes so that members and providers are well served, customers are satisfied and regulations and accreditation standards are met.
- Organizes volume of work and work-flow so that performance standards and proper procedures for appeals resolution are consistent with client, state and federal requirements.
- Coordinates and distributes first, second and third level appeal request assignments.
- Reviews proposed appeal letter language for completeness and consistency with customer and regulations and oversees the determination for clinical or administrative appeal.
- Supervises staff; conducts performance reviews, sets unit standards, and scorecard goals.
- Manages the data gathering and analysis of reports regarding appeal and complaint activity as well as preparation for appeals audits.
- Provides employee training, monitor QI activities of appeals department, and assist in the development of department workflows and implementations.
- Responds to member, provider, and client inquiries regarding status, process and outcome of appeals.
- Consults with clinical managers on problem cases and interface with case managers, clinical supervisors, account managers and other Magellan employees in resolving denial and appeal questions.
General Job Information
TitleManager of Appeals
Job FamilyQuality Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date2/11/2020
Date Requisition Created2/4/2020
Work ExperienceHealthcare, Management/Leadership, Utilization Management
EducationAssociates: Nursing, Bachelors: Healthcare
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - PreferredLCSW - Licensed Clinical Social Worker - Care Mgmt, RN - Registered Nurse, State and/or Compact State Licensure - Care Mgmt
Other Job Requirements
- 5+ years' appeals experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage processes and staff.
- Knowledge of appeal handling and clinical protocols.
- Ability to work under time pressures, complete reports and work across departments to meet deadlines for customer deliverables.
- Ability to work with software systems for data capture of appeals and reporting of findings.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of accreditation requirements related to appeal processing.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you