Job DescriptionProvides leadership and direction to Human Resources, program leadership, management and supervisors in labor relations and union negotiations (both in union avoidance and collective bargaining). Provides labor relations consultation and direction in the administration of relevant Collective Bargaining Agreements. Provides support and advises management regarding discipline, discharges, and grievances in a union environment.
- Serves as an expert in labor relations providing advice to internal clients, including HR and operations leaders in consultation with relevant stakeholders.
- Develops a progressive, business-focused labor relations strategy that meets the current and future needs of the organization.
- Leads the formulation of strategies and tactics for union avoidance, contract negotiations, and strike preparedness aligned with customer and operational requirements. Collaborates in the development of custom communications responsive to union organizing efforts.
- Identifies opportunities to reduce organizing risk by developing plans to increase management contact/communications, strengthening employee engagement, leadership training recommendations, survey results and other analytics.
- Reviews supervisory contact reports and recommends tactics to increase frequency and depth of supervisory-team communications.
- Recommends policy or process enhancements that address employee concerns.
- Consults with Vice Presidents, Directors, Managers, Supervisors, Union Officers, and attorneys on labor strategy and policies, dispute resolution, contract administration, and negotiations.
- Research, analyze, interpret, and prepare contract language and background information for collective bargaining agreements. Collaborates with outside counsel in union negotiations.
- Ensures that process and other changes proposed during negotiations are reviewed with relevant HR stakeholders – Compensation, Benefits, Payroll and Policy administration.
- Monitors decisions, communications and training to ensure that leaders, managers and supervisors understand and apply sound labor relations practices.
- Develop tools for supervisors and managers to facilitate consistent use of labor relations best practices.
- Develop and deliver labor relations training programs to program leadership, PMO and program operations staff.
- Assists operations management in day-to-day labor activities, including the formulation of responses to union related inquiries.
- Prepares responses to unfair labor practices, grievances, arbitration proceedings through appropriate investigation and coordination with employee relations and legal counsel.
- Coordinates union data requests, maintains statistics on organizing activities and provides reports to leadership.
- Partners with HR Business Consultants on employee coaching, corrective action, grievances and arbitrations.
- Other HR responsibilities as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleDirector, Labor Relations
Job FamilyHuman Resources Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date1/13/2020
Date Requisition Created1/13/2020
Work ExperienceEmployee Relations, Labor Relations, Management/Leadership
EducationBachelors (Required), Masters
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in a related field required.
- Advanced degree preferred (preferably in Human Resources, Labor Relations, Organizational Development, Business Administration, Employment/Labor Law, and/or a related field).
- 8+ years’ experience in Labor and Employee Relations.
- Minimum 3 years’ HR management experience.
- Experience in Federal Services Contracting preferred.
- Strong understanding of labor and employment laws and labor negotiations best practices.
- Experience with union organizing campaigns, union training, and NLRB elections.
- Extensive knowledge of labor and employment laws, including the NLRA, Title VII, FMLA, ADA and FLSA.
- Ability to influence leaders at all levels of the organization.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to include platform presentation skills.
- Customer-focused with strong analytical skills and the ability to apply those analytics to achieve problem resolution.
- Experience interpreting complex human resources guidelines, codes, regulations, policies and procedures, including state and federal laws, and a demonstrated track record of effective problem analysis and resolution.
- Experience creating and delivering positive employee relations programs, union avoidance, and training initiatives.
- Proven ability to make sound judgments and collaborate with other functional experts to reach an optimal decision.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More