SENIOR MANAGER – CALIFORNIA MEDI-CAL PRIVACY OFFICER
Sacramento CA 95814
Job DescriptionThe California Medi-Cal Privacy Officer is responsible for the oversight of the privacy program of California Medi-Cal beneficiaries in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations and contract requirements. Must have demonstrated knowledge of state and federal privacy laws, and knowledge of data privacy and governance principles. Must be able to clearly communicate complex information in a straightforward and honest manager. Provides expert level advice and support on privacy and confidentiality matters and makes independent review of all aspects to the organization’s compliance with HIPAA and state privacy laws. This position provides support and advice regarding planning, leading, and strategically managing a reliable and legally compliant privacy program.
- Oversees the administration of the privacy program for California Medi-Cal beneficiaries
- Collaborates with the Security Officer to ensure alignment between security and privacy compliance programs including policies, practices, investigations, and acts as a liaison to the information systems department.
- Establishes an ongoing process to track, investigate and report inappropriate access and disclosure of protected health information. Monitor patterns of inappropriate use and/or disclosure of protected health information.
- Conducts related ongoing privacy rule compliance monitoring activities in coordination with the organization’s other compliance and operational assessment functions.
- Manages all required breach determination and notification processed under HIPAA and applicable State breach rules and requirements.
- Works with the Chief Compliance Officer, organization administration, and other related parties to represent the organization’s information privacy interest with external parties (federal, state or local government bodies) who undertake to adopt or amend privacy legislation, regulation, or standard.
- Cooperates with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service’s Office for Civil Rights, State regulators and/or other legal entities in any compliance reviews or investigations.
- Assists with the implementation all aspects of administering the privacy program.
- Provide an advanced level of expertise on state and federal privacy and confidentiality requirements.
- Create and conduct continuous training of workforce on state and federal privacy and confidentiality requirements.
- Draft, implement, and maintain appropriate privacy documentation, including policies, procedures, and notices of privacy practices.
- Draft, implement, and maintain agency guidelines, best practices, and resources to ensure organization wide implementation of privacy and confidentiality practices.
- Assist with the Risk Assessment.
- Conduct internal privacy audits and monitoring.
- Resolve questions, comments, and complaints related to privacy and confidentiality matters.
- Oversee and monitor privacy and confidentiality issues to resolution and document actions taken.
- Investigate privacy and confidentiality complaints and resolve them when possible.
- Assess risk and plan for long range privacy and confidentiality compliance.
- Draft all-staff communications to reinforce privacy best practices.
- Analyses government regulations, polices and legislation to identify impact on business operations, policies and planning, and as necessary, works with business owners to mitigate impact.
- Directs State and federally mandated legal and regulatory compliance activities. Serves as a liaison for customers on legal and regulatory issues.
- Generates periodic reports documenting implementation of changes in privacy laws.
- Works with business leaders to ensure that a specialized training process is in place and effective.
General Job Information
TitleSENIOR MANAGER – CALIFORNIA MEDI-CAL PRIVACY OFFICER
Job FamilyLegal Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date11/11/2019
Date Requisition Created11/8/2019
EducationBachelors (Required), Masters
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - PreferredCHC - Certified Healthcare Compliance - Enterprise
Other Job Requirements
- Master's degree in a legal or health related profession preferred.
- Health care compliance experience preferred.
- Certification in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) preferred.
- Experience directing Compliance activities in a Managed Care Company strongly preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in corporate privacy programs in a government and/or a healthcare setting. Knowledge of CA State and federal laws, regulations and rules.
- Experience in conducting privacy risk assessments and internal privacy audits, developing privacy training and education.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with all levels of employees, including ability to gather appropriate information and provide understandable and actionable advice.
- Conducts analysis in complex areas involving privacy.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and project management skills.
- Ability to research, obtain, coordinate, and integrate feedback and directions from diverse operational groups and organizations into a written product.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience with start-up operations in a new managed care plan.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and creative solving skills.
- Previous leadership experience, providing guidance, mentoring and direction to direct reports, and to cross-functional teams, including senior leadership teams.
- Proven success at developing employees, growing and managing dynamic teams and measuring employee and team contributions in achieving compliance initiatives.
- High level of member-centricity.
- Experience and thorough understanding of MS Office, including word processing, flow charting, and archiving and other relevant software systems and applications.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you