Job DescriptionPrimary responsibility of providing the full breadth of MFLC (military family life counseling) counseling services to military service members and their families at military installations outside of the continental US (OCONUS). Services include non-medical, short term, walk around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, provision of health fairs, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues. Works closely with the installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of the installation.
- Provides non-medical, short term, solution focused, walk around counseling directly to service and family members. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated. Delivers training and health and wellness presentations, participates in health fairs and other base/installation activities as requested/ directed. Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, web, or fax to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client / service member confidentiality.
- Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation. Develops an excellent working relationship with the installation POC.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge and on demand events, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to DoD protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participate in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which they are assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
- Serves as a full time substitute MFLC Counselor working in different facilities to provide coverage for a counselor(s) due to illness or absences from their assignment as needed.
General Job Information
TitleMilitary Family Life Counselor, Thule AB, Greenland
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date10/7/2019
Date Requisition Created10/7/2019
EducationMasters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredCurrent licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements - Care Mgmt, LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor - Care Mgmt, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- A minimum one year of post licensure counseling experience.
- Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.
- May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments.
- Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.
- Ability to prove US Citizenship and must be fluent in English.
- Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused counseling methods.
- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture and command structure; ability to establish productive relationships with high ranking military personnel.
- Prior services as MFLC and/or CYB counselor strongly preferred.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you