Job DescriptionThe Proposal Specialist III manages two or more medium to high complexity weighted proposals and performs the full range of tasks required to develop strategic, competitive and compliant customized proposals. S/he focuses primarily on proposals developed in response to complex Employer and Health Plan pharmacy proposals. The Proposal Specialist III assumes responsibility for the quality of all proposals assigned to her/his team. Working with senior staff across MRx, the Proposal Specialist III plays an integral role in the development of programs and operational solutions to meet the requirements of each RFP and packages those capabilities and others to create compelling proposals.
Essential Functionsbr>• Provides leadership and coordination of the response to specific bids with a diverse group of staff from multiple functional areas, including executive and senior management, sales, operations, clinical/medical, network, finance and others throughout the proposal development process.
• Analyzes RFPs, contributing substantively to program/product and operational design, developing strategic “win themes,” and writing and editing content to yield concise, complete, accurate, consistent and compelling bids.
• Duties also include managing internal and external subject matter experts for content development and ensuring proposal content supports the company’s overall product offerings and brand positioning.
• Interviews SMEs and gathers information in order to create new proposal language thereby minimizing SME involvement in the proposal process.
• Edits proposal language to ensure compliance with proposal requirements and incorporates strategies and RFP requirements into existing proposal language. Performs a thorough compliance review and quality check of drafts and final proposal version.
• Managing logistical and operational aspects of specific proposals. When acting as proposal project manager, develops a calendar that is flexible and allows for unanticipated project creeps and ensures all critical milestones are met. Submits calendar to key stakeholders for approval prior to release. When acting as compliance analyst, the Senior Writer creates the assignment outlines, using the SME lists to make assignments as appropriate. Meets with sales lead to develop win themes and sales strategy. Participates in small group solutions meetings that address the gaps in service offerings for the proposal. The Senior Writer is also responsible for creating bid-specific style sheets, scheduling and participation in color team reviews, conducting production meetings, gathering vendor questions, preparing and disseminating drafts for reviews, ensuring all changes to drafts are incorporated in a timely fashion, coordinating and monitoring progress against deadlines, coordinating production activities, and ensuring that proposals are complete and compliant with RFP requirements. Completes close-out process including new and updated database text for submission, ensuring files on shared drives and SharePoint are complete and accurate, and facilitating a debrief meeting of the proposal process with major stakeholders.
• Reviewing and evaluating Medicaid and commercial-related database language and developing new and/or updating existing database content to ensure accuracy, competitiveness and consistency with marketing strategies and overall company positioning
• Providing information, coaching and mentoring to writers as necessary and providing feedback to manager of writing and editing regarding writer performance and opportunities for staff development.
Education: BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications, or a health care-related field. MA/MS preferred.
Experience: 8 years or more. Job Specific: 5-8 years competitive proposal writing. 4-6 years management experience or management training. Knowledge and experience of the behavioral health or managed care industry. Strong project management skills. An equivalent combination of experience and education is acceptable.
Computer Skills: Microsoft Word and knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Other: Demonstrated grasp of marketing principles and the importance of competitive proposals to the pursuit of new business. Excellent writing and organizational skills. Strong command of the English language. Ability to prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to analyze documentation to determine client requirements and sales strategy. Ability to translate directions, strategy, and client requirements into effective marketing text. Ability to work closely with sales team to develop a customized sales strategy. Ability to motivate and direct a team. Thorough understanding of managed care principles and managed care, insurance, and/or mental health terminology preferred.
General Job Information
TitleProposal Specialist III
Job FamilySales Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date9/27/2019
Date Requisition Created9/24/2019
EducationA Combination of Education and Work Experience May Be Considered. (Required), Bachelors: Communications (Required), Masters
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Thorough understanding of managed care principles and managed care, insurance, and/or mental health, radiology or pharmacy terminology.
- Minimum of 7 years of communications experience to include a minimum of 3 years developing original material for publication or competitive evaluation and prior proposal experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Ability to adapt to new, technology-driven tools (e.g., database, online procurement systems).
- Knowledge of proposal processes; experience writing in the healthcare or managed care industries.
- An equivalent combination of experience and education is acceptable in lieu of degree.
- Outstanding communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently across multiple functions within the company.
- Superior writing and editing skills.
- Ability to analyze compliance-driven/technical documentation to determine customer requirements and to understand complex customer issues within the public sector, radiology or pharmacy areas.
- Ability to work closely with multi-functional teams to develop a customer-specific proposal strategy.
- Strong organizational, project management, analytical, and problem-solving skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, matrix environment.
- Ability to create new proposal text by meeting with subject matter experts or using reference documents.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you