Job DescriptionThis position will work with assigned business units and Finance to deliver profitable growth of the business line through retention of existing relationships, new customer acquisition, and product innovation. The role leads a staff that manages the entire underwriting process for prospective clients and new customer acquisitions.
- Analyze claims data and develop cost-of-care projections for existing customer renewals and new business opportunities. Interact with clients as needed to resolve differences in projections are rate-setting methodology. Incorporate administrative cost projections and business unit profit objectives to develop final rates quoted to customer.
- Reviews utilization, cost trends, and other assumptions that are used in pricing models. Evaluates cost impact of new product initiatives, and proposes rate structures to maximize profitability and ensure appropriate returns for risk.
- Ensure that appropriate underwriting policies and procedures are applied to new and existing business and that responses are timely. Provides recommendations on product and customer rates to senior management and coordinates approval process.
- Interacts with clients/customers and internal staff to resolve issues related to information provided and Request For Proposal language and response expectations.
- Supports variety of projects from Business Unit and Corporate Finance.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleSr. Director, Underwriting - remote opportunity
Job FamilyFinance Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date9/19/2019
Date Requisition Created9/19/2019
Work ExperiencePBM (Pharmacy Benefit Management), Underwriting
EducationBachelors (Required), Masters
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - PreferredCPA - Certified Public Accountant - Enterprise
Other Job Requirements
ResponsibilitiesMinimum of seven years of systems analysis/development experience. Experience in the managed care, health care, or insurance industries a plus. Demonstrated experience in computer systems and 10 plus years experience in technical staff management.Master?s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field.Experience in the managed care, health care, or insurance industries a plus.
Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field, or equivalent work experience.Demonstrated experience in computer systems and 10+ years experience in technical staff management.Strong development, management and communications skills (verbal and written); experience with systems development lifecycle methodologies (SDLC) and techniques; good project management skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to create and lead staff in a team-oriented environment, extensive experience in working as a liaison between technical and non-technical groups; knowledgeable in the use and implementation of SDLC methodologies; proven ability to facilitate meetings.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you