Medical Director, Medical Management Utilization Management, Magellan Rx - REMOTE/Work From Home
Missouri, Arizona, Virginia, Massachusetts, Florida, Illinois, New York, United States Minor Outlying Islands, UtahRemote position available
Job DescriptionThis position supports the clinical vision for the employer(s), health plan(s), and/or government program(s) and implements programs to support this vision. May serve multiple customers managed by Magellan Rx Management.
- Provides clinical leadership to the interdisciplinary Medical Management team. Provides day to day physician oversight to an assigned interdisciplinary UM team, including regular involvement in UM and case management, including but not limited to medical necessity decisions. Follows high risk cases throughout treatment continuum from inpatient, rehabilitation, partial hospitalization, outpatient and other levels of care. Ensures that persons with severe, complex, and/or treatment resistant illnesses receive medically necessary coordinated care throughout the episode of treatment. Continues physician oversight of at-risk patients deemed appropriate for complex case management and timely completion of all utilization management activities. Involvement in the development of case management plans.
- Assists the VP, Medical Director to develop and implement a Utilization Management program and action plan, which includes strategies that ensure a high quality of patient care, ensuring that patients receive the most appropriate care at the most cost-effective setting. Evaluates the effectiveness of UM practices and criteria. Actively monitors for over- and under-utilization. Assumes a leadership position relative to knowledge, implementation, training and supervision of the use of the medical necessity criteria.
- Along with the VP, Medical Director and other designated staff, implements clinical practice standards and policies developed by Magellan and participates in management of activities. Develops, implements and interprets medical policy, technology assessments, and medical necessity guidelines.
- Develops effective working relationships with practitioners, provider facilities, treatment programs, medical review vendors and may establish relationships and/or consult with client organizations. Confers directly with practitioners regarding the care of patients through peer review and educational interventions. Identifies and immediately follows up any quality of care concerns with practitioners and provider facilities and treatment programs involved in the member’s care. Ensures that contract requirements, accreditation standards (e.g. NCQA), state policies and federal policies are implemented specific to each Magellan client. Works with teams on continuous quality improvement to ensure ongoing compliance in utilization and case management.
- Assists the VP, Medical Director in maintaining the integrity of the appeals process, both internally and externally and in investigating adverse incidents and quality of care concerns. Assists the VP, Medical Director with preparation for NCQA and URAC certifications and assists with leadership for NCQA-compliant clinical quality improvement activity (QIA) or quality improvement programs (QIPs) in collaboration with quality improvement staff. Assists the VP, Medical Director with inputs and solutions for Corrective Active Plans. May participate in various committees or project teams as directed by the VP, Medical Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleMedical Director, Medical Management Utilization Management, Magellan Rx - REMOTE/Work From Home
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date5/28/2019
Date Requisition Created5/23/2019
Work ExperienceClinical, Utilization Management
EducationDO (Required), MD (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredDO - Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) - Physician, MD - Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) - Physician
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
Managed care experience as a provider and a manager of care.
Utilization Review or Physician Advisor experience.
Complex case management experience.
Accreditation experience (NCQA, AAHCC/URAC).
- Graduate of an American or Canadian medical school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Medical Education (ACME) or equivalent training in a foreign medical school with successful completion of the ECFMG and FLEX examinations.
- Full training in a residency program in the United States or Canada that is approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- Minimum of three years involving substantial direct patient care during this period at multiple levels of care.
- Clinical experience pertinent to the patient population(s) being managed.
- Unrestricted current and valid license or certification to practice medicine in a state or territory of the United States.
- Ability and desire to lead through and effect appropriate changes.
- Experience with cost-benefit analysis, medical decision analysis, credentialing, quality assurance and continuous quality improvement (CQI) processes. (Preferred, but not required for MRx MMUM).
- After Hours coverage may be required.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
“I receive a high level of support from our Senior Management Team to execute on our vision. They are always accessible and approachable, something I’ve found to be very unique to Magellan.”