VP, Associate General Counsel - Medicaid Health Plan
Maryland, New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, Connecticut, Florida
Job DescriptionThe VP, Associate General Counsel will focus on legal support for Magellan’s full service Medicaid health plan line of business (known as Magellan Complete Care), including development of the company’s contracts with state Medicaid agencies, development and negotiation of vendor and provider agreements, regulatory filings, and Medicaid compliance. The attorney will be a member of the Magellan Complete Care management team and will work closely with other team members to support and advance the company’s objectives and goals. The ideal candidate will have prior experience as a senior attorney for a Medicaid health plan.
This position will assist the Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel in all functions of the Legal Department but will focus primarily on developing and negotiating managed care service contracts for the company's behavioral health and radiology lines of business. This position also is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel to corporate officers, managers and employees of the company and its various lines of business. This incumbent of this position may advise on contracts, regulatory issues, risk management, corporate transactions and general corporate work.
- Develops and negotiates managed care service contracts for the company's behavioral health and radiology lines of business.
- Develops responses to the legal portion of requests for proposals and other formal procurement documents.
- Solves complex regulatory issues, particularly as they relate to the structure of the company's contracts with customers.
- Assists in the development and implementation of overall company licensing and regulatory strategy.
- Represents the company before state and federal regulators and other constituencies such as provider associations.
- Develops forms of policies to be used by the company's captive insurance companies and risk-bearing managed care entities to support the company's managed care products and services.
- Develops reinsurance treaties with third party insurance companies to support the activities of these companies.
- Prepares and files annual registration statements and related filings for these regulated entities.
- Advises the management and employees on matters relating to the insurance companies and similar entities.
- Develops and arranges for letters of credit, performance bonds, escrow accounts, and similar financial instruments to meet requirements of customer agreements and applicable law; work with the Finance Department to obtain approval of these instruments and to ensure that these arrangements are properly accounted for under the company's internal and external reporting obligations.
- Represents the company in connection with corporate transactions, and develop partnership and other joint venture arrangements.
- Manages various healthcare legal issues involving the company.
- Other projects as assigned by leadership.
General Job Information
TitleVP, Associate General Counsel - Medicaid Health Plan
Job FamilyLegal Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date8/15/2019
Date Requisition Created8/15/2019
Work ExperienceHealthcare, Legal
EducationJD: Law (Required)
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
8+ years of legal experience in managed care.
Admitted to practice law in at least one state.
Excellent written and verbal communications/advocacy skills, ability to work independently, ability to fashion practical business solutions to complex legal situations, negotiation skills.
Possesses knowledge of the health care industry and regulatory environment, including specific knowledge of and experience with the policies and procedures of regulatory agencies in the states in which the company conducts business.
Knowledge of the company's policies and procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and problem solving skills and abilities.
- Prior experience as senior attorney for a health care company.
- General knowledge of and experience with a variety of corporate healthcare transactions.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you