Job DescriptionOversees and directs all aspects of the payroll function and and payroll staff ensuring timely, accurate and effective processing of payroll disbursements for all employees in compliance with federal, state and local regulations and requirements, as well, as internal policies and procedures. Partners with Finance on reconciliation of Workday and CostPoint.
- Manages day-to-day operations of the Payroll Department to ensure that the preparation and distribution of payroll meets established schedules.
- Plans, prioritizes and/or directs the responsibilities of payroll staff employees.
- Assists with leading and participating as needed in both cross functional projects and process improvement projects which involve payroll processing and procedures and continuously look for ways to automate and improve payroll processes.
- Continuously look for ways to automate and improve payroll processes by partner with the Senior HR Technologist Payroll to improve departmental efficiency as needed.
- Ensures the accuracy of all statements issued to employees and taxing authorities and general ledger transactions
- Hires, disciplines, coaches, conducts performance reviews, terminates and ensures training of Payroll staff.
- Mentors and motivates team members to achieve goals through inspiration, innovation, and personal attention.
- Assists with management of departmental budget.
- Acts as a liaison between Finance and Payroll to ensure compliance with federal, state and local tax filing agencies and manages research and reconciliation of process for issues identified by third-party tax services provider.
- Provides assistance and training as needed for reconciling tax filings to payroll source documents.
- Ensures tax adjustments are properly input into the payroll system to maintain correct employee W-2 records.
- Ensures approved adjustments are properly input into the payroll system (such as new hires, terminations, salary adjustments, etc.).
- Stays informed of any potential Human Resource policy changes so that the effect on the payroll process is understood and discussed prior to the policy change.
- Provides regular and special reports in support of Human Resources programs as needed.
- Must remain current on Payroll laws, regulations and systems to achieve alignment with other HR functional areas to ensure effective support.
- Must facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures and provide training as needed.Serves as the first escalation point for payroll issues and VERN cases and ensures any questions, problems or issues are resolved in a timely manner.
- Assures that payroll deductions for employee contributions to life and health insurance, pensions and related benefits, monthly vacation accrual, all manual checks, monthly payroll journal entries and balance sheet schedules are accurately calculated, including reconciliations.
- Partners with key stakeholders including Compensation, Benefits, Human Resource Business Consultants, Finance and Legal and Employee Relations.
- Works with HRIS and Finance to establish new payroll companies and appropriate tax filing numbers as needed related to acquisitions and mergers.
- Provide dashboard information and key payroll data statistics to Senior Director Payroll.
- Helps formulate integration plans for new acquisitions and mergers into the company and provides training as needed.
- Works with HRIS and Finance to delete payroll companies as deemed appropriate by management.
- Serves as a focal point for internal and external auditors and assists with maintaining Sarbanes Oxley templates and validation.
General Job Information
TitleSenior Manager, Payroll - Remote Opportunity
Job FamilyHuman Resources Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date7/17/2019
Date Requisition Created7/17/2019
Work ExperienceManagement/Leadership, Payroll, Workday
License and Certifications - RequiredCPP - Certified Payroll Professional - Enterprise
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
For roles supporting Magellan Federal payroll, prefer government contracting background, Service Contract Act (SCA) experience, reconciliation skills and Costpoint experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, HR or other related fields of study.
- Minimum of seven years' prior payroll supervisory or management experience in a multiple-state environment.
- Minimum of two years of experience processing payroll using Workday.
- Certified Payroll Professional certification.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient n Microsoft office products specifically Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Ability to analyze trends and processes in order to make recommendations for improvements and cost savings
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More