VP, Actuarial Services
Job DescriptionThis role will provide actuarial direction and leadership in support of profitable business growth for a strategic business unit. The position leads the actuarial function and partners within Finance and business unit leadership teams to provide actuarial analysis and guidance while being accountable for all actuarial deliverables. The role will ensure that Magellan is accurately represented in all rate negotiations with state and/or federal agencies.
- Leads the actuarial function supporting one or more strategic business units.
- Maintains actuarial policies and standards, ensuring they are consistent with regulatory and corporate standards.
- Ensures actuarial valuations comply with all relevant regulatory, accounting and professional standards and requirements.
- Leads the completion of rate adequacy analysis and risk adjustment evaluation, including medical cost forecasts and incorporating administrative cost projections.
- Leads the regular preparation of adequate medical cost reserve development and interpretation of emerging care expense results for local and corporate leadership.
- Innovates and improves both accuracy and efficiency in the processes.
- Accountable for establishing and maintaining processes for medical care expense and premium rate accruals in conjunction with Finance partners.
- Leads the actuarial component of the business unit’s planning processes.
- Provides coaching, performance feedback and development opportunities for actuarial team members
General Job Information
TitleVP, Actuarial Services
Job FamilyFinance Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date7/12/2019
Date Requisition Created7/12/2019
Work ExperienceActuarial, Healthcare, Management/Leadership
EducationBachelors: Actuarial Science (Required), Bachelors: Mathematics (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredASA-Associate of Society of Actuaries - Enterprise
License and Certifications - PreferredFSA - Fellow of the Society of Actuaries - Enterprise
Other Job Requirements
- Experience working in Managed Medicaid and/or Medicare plan preferred.
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation required with 12 + years experience.
- May consider 8+ years of experience with a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) designation.
- 5+ years of management experience or demonstrated leadership and influence skills.
- Experience working in comprehensive managed health care plan environment required.
- Experience with claims reserving techniques and premium rate development.
- Familiarity with typical development of and uses of health plan risk adjustment methodologies.
- Ability to develop, maintain and/or oversee use of complex cost modeling tools.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple activities with high degree of independence.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional local health plan leadership team.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you