Bethlehem PA 18018
Job DescriptionUnder general supervision, and in collaboration with other members of the clinical team, authorizes and reviews utilization of mental health and substance abuse services provided in inpatient and/or outpatient care settings. Collects and analyzes utilization data. Assists with discharge planning and care coordination. Provides member assistance with mental health and substance abuse issues, and participates in special quality improvement projects.
- Monitors inpatient and/or outpatient level of care services related to mental health and substance abuse treatment to ensure medical necessity and effectiveness.
- Provides telephone triage, crisis intervention and emergency authorizations as assigned.
- Performs concurrent reviews for inpatient and/or outpatient care and other levels of care as allowed by scope of practice and experience.
- In conjunction with providers and facilities, develops discharge plans and oversee their implementation.
- Performs quality clinical reviews while educating and making appropriate interventions to advance the care of the member in treatment.
- Provides information to members and providers regarding mental health and substance abuse benefits, community treatment resources, mental health managed care programs, and company policies and procedures, and criteria.
- Interacts with Physician Advisors to discuss clinical and authorization questions and concerns regarding specific cases.
- Participates in quality improvement activities, including data collection, tracking, and analysis.
- Maintains an active work load in accordance with National Care Manager performance standards.
- Works with community agencies as appropriate. Proposes alternative plans of treatment when requests for services do not meet medical necessity criteria.
- Participates in network development including identification and recruitment of quality providers as needed.
- Advocates for the patient to ensure treatment needs are met. Interacts with providers in a professional, respectful manner that facilitates the treatment process.
General Job Information
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date6/26/2019
Date Requisition Created6/19/2019
EducationAssociates: Nursing (Required), Masters: Behavioral Health (Required), Masters: Counseling (Required), Masters: Social Work (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredCEAP - Certified Employee Assistance Professional - Care Mgmt, LCSW - Licensed Clinical Social Worker - Care Mgmt, LMFT - Licensed Marital and Family Therapist - Care Mgmt, LMSW - Licensed Master Social Worker - Care Mgmt, LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor - Care Mgmt, LPN - Licensed Practical Nurse - Care Mgmt, RN - Registered Nurse, State and/or Compact State Licensure - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Licensure is required for this position, specifically a current license that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements.
- Minimum of 6 years of post-degree experience in psychiatric and substance abuse health care.
- Minimum of 3 years of post degree experience for Care Managers with Ph.D.
- Experience to include utilization review.
- Licensure may also include one or more of the following: CEAP, LMSW, LCSW, LPC, LPN or RN.
- CEAP certification as required by management.
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills.
- Knowledge of utilization management procedures, mental health and substance abuse community resources and providers.
- Knowledge of and experience in inpatient setting.
- Knowledge of DSM V or most current diagnostic edition.
- Ability to analyze specific utilization problems, plan and implement solutions that directly influence quality of care.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
“I receive a high level of support from our Senior Management Team to execute on our vision. They are always accessible and approachable, something I’ve found to be very unique to Magellan.”