Job DescriptionThis position has the primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of MFLC consultation and counseling services to the command structure and military service members and their families as an embedded counselor assigned to a dedicated military unit outside of the continental US (OCONUS). The counselor is solely responsible for providing MFLC services including non-medical, short term, walk around counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, and consultation to the brigade/regiments command regarding behavioral health issues with a unique understanding of the particular military unit, cultural and mission. This position is embedded within the command and requires a unique and sophisticated senior relationship management skill set to develop and manage the complex relationships necessary to successfully work closely with the command staff and leadership hierarchy. Counselors assigned specifically to a Special Operations Command (SOCOM) are required to possess a secret level security clearance and must abide by the rules governing such secret clearance.
- Cultivates and maintains direct, high level relationships with high level installation staff within the assigned installation utilizing superior account management and executive skills recognizing the unique structure and mission of the assigned military unit. Responsible for development of an excellent working relationship with the installation POC (Point of Contact) and with the command leadership.
- Provides non-medical, short term, solution focused, walk around counseling directly to service and family members of a dedicated military unit (brigade, wing or regiment) as an embedded counselor. Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated. Delivers training and health and wellness presentations and other base/installation activities as requested and/or directed. Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, web, or fax to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation, while maintaining client / service member confidentiality.
- Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential. Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources and provides appropriate linkages for service members and their families. Partners with POC to provide MFLC services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation.
- Provides MFLC response to critical incidents, surge, and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager. Counselor will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
- Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to Department of Defense (DoD) protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
- Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participates in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations to which they are assigned.
- Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
- Serves as a full time substitute MFLC Counselor working in different facilities to provide coverage for a counselor(s) due to illness or absences from their assignment as needed.
General Job Information
TitleMilitary & Family Life Counselor (Embedded) Joint Region Marianas, Guam
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date5/14/2019
Date Requisition Created4/30/2019
EducationMasters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredDL - Driver License, Valid In State - Other, LCSW - Licensed Clinical Social Worker - Care Mgmt, Secret Security Clearance - Other
License and Certifications - PreferredMust be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician. - Care Mgmt
Other Job Requirements
- 1- 3 years prior MFLC experience required. Completion of at least one full CONUS (within the continental US) rotational assignment as an employee, contractor, or through a company staffing partner.
A minimum one year of post licensure counseling experience.
- Must be covered under one of the company's employee medical plans during an OCONUS assignment or provide evidence of international coverage in another plan.
- Requires secret clearance for SOCOM assignments.
- Requires a current US Passport, current US Driver`s License, current international driver`s license.
- Ability to prove US Citizenship and must speak fluent English.
- Requires account executive level account management skills.
- Requires excellent organizational skills to effectively provide MFLC services.
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills.
- Requires the ability to manage and structure time and activities independently.
- Ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.
- May require travel to locations outside of a military base in a variety of physical environments.
- Requires ability to travel long distances by plane to and from destination country; to navigate through various types of public transportation terminals and vehicles, while managing luggage and personal effects in a safe manner.
- Must be able to drive a manual transmission automobile on the left hand side of the road in unfavorable weather conditions on dark, unlit roads.
- Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites outside of the United States, counselors may need to be aware of and/or comply with various country-specific requirements or recommendations related to public health, safety, and cultural sensitivity. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain current immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt, and/or carry recommended personal protective devices with them.
- Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused counseling methods.
- Flexibility in responding to high-profile requests and emergent situations.
- Knowledge of and expertise in providing consultation.
- 5 years of post-masters with emphasis in short term counseling.
- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture.
- Prior services as MFLC and/or CYB counselor.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you