Clinical Pharmacy Technician II
Orlando FL 32812
Job DescriptionThis position plays a key role in medical and pharmacy management initiatives critical to Magellan Rx Management in achieving revenue goals and operational objectives. This position is responsible for executing specialty injectable utilization management programs on behalf of health plan/payor customers. This role is often the first point of contact that a Provider’s office or Specialty Pharmacy has when initiating an authorization for injectable or infused product. The position requires communication and teamwork across all internal Magellan departments (Account Management, Specialty Pharmacy, IT, Project Management, Quality), as well as health plan/payor departments (medical management, pharmacy management) and an in-depth understanding of all specialty injectable therapeutic classes, products, trends, current management techniques and industry guidelines. The UM Specialist provides outstanding customer service while also achieving department performance metrics.
- On behalf of health plan clients, manages all prior authorization requests for specialty injectable medications, ensuring appropriate injectable product selection, step-edit management, therapeutic protocol adherence, medication dosing adjustments, assay management, concomitant medication prescribing and specialty pharmacy selection.
- Maximize Magellan Rx Management specialty pharmacy medication dispenses via execution of UM protocols. Proactively suggest the use of ICORE for providers and/or members in an “Any Willing Provider” state and those who are not required to use ICORE Pharmacy exclusively. Ensure that the appropriate documentation is sent to Magellan Rx Management Specialty Pharmacy in a timely manner. Provide communication to Magellan Rx Management pharmacy staff on status of authorization as needed.
- Utilize MRxAuth and other platforms ensuring all cases are accurately entered and documented. Continuously monitor the status of unresolved cases via intra-day reporting methods and ensure they are resolved in a timely manner. Ensure that authorization requests for non-preferred products are correctly routed within MRxAuth and provider outreach has taken place to educate on Plan’s preferred formulary.
- Manages all case information, paperwork and supportive documentation required for completion of authorization process and successful claims processing. Ensure that the health plan receives daily ATE report and Issue Logs where applicable. Perform updates to cases within MRxAuth once plan has provided a final determination.
- As the end user and system expert, proactively suggest changes/updates to the prior auth application that ensures maximum protocol adherence, suggest processes to help improve overall efficiency and increased health plan customer satisfaction.
General Job Information
TitleClinical Pharmacy Technician II
Job FamilyPharmacy Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date4/24/2019
Date Requisition Created4/8/2019
EducationGED (Required), High School (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredCPT/LPT/PTCB/RPT, Pharmacy Technician, State Requirements - Pharmacy
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- CPT: Certification/licensure in accordance with state requirements. In the states of Florida, Rhode Island and Michigan, license registration with the Board of Pharmacy is required without exception.
- PTCB: Certification or the ability to obtain PTCB Certification within one year of hire. Employees in states which require a Pharmacy Technician certification/registration exam may substitute state certification/registration for the PTCB.
- Specialty or retail pharmacy industry experience, previous reimbursement experience, and/or working in a health plan/health care setting.
- In-depth knowledge of specialty injectable prescription drugs, disease states, health plan formulary management techniques, medical terminology and current diagnostic and reimbursement coding (J/Q codes, ICD-9, CMS 1500, etc.).
- Proficiency in Pharmacy computerized systems and software applications, as well as MS Office Product Suite.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow clinical criteria and instructions to approve prior authorization requests.
- Minimum of 2 years dispensing or retail experience required, or equivalent internal training will be substituted.
- Ability to identify and trouble-shoot problematic issues.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you