Senior Director Actuarial
Avon CT 06001
Job DescriptionLeadership position having overall accountability for all actuarial work supporting one or more of the company's health plans, including rate adequacy, claims reserving, cost of care forecasting and planning. Leads the actuarial team and provides strategic guidance to key stakeholders in the interpretation of care cost results. Accountable for the design, build out and implementation of cost modeling tools along with ensuring the modeling adapts to changing business needs.
- Actuarial market lead for one or more managed health plan programs.
- Owns overall market accountability for health plan pricing and claims reserving.
- Leads all actuarial activities in regards to monthly financial close process.
- Accountable for identification and establishment of appropriate reserves for all care expense liabilities.
- Actively assists local and corporate leadership in the interpretation of emerging care expense results.
- Designs and implements processes for the ongoing improvement of forecasted medical expenses.
- Interfaces with state and/or federal governing agencies to ensure appropriate rate considerations for health plan.
- Directs and/or collaborates cross-functionally on complex medical cost analyses as needed.
General Job Information
TitleSenior Director Actuarial
Job FamilyFinance Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date4/4/2019
Date Requisition Created4/4/2019
EducationBachelors: Actuarial Science (Required), Bachelors: Mathematics (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredFSA - Fellow of the Society of Actuaries - Enterprise
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA) designation required.
- 10+ years of relevant actuarial experience required; FSA exam performance may be considered in combination with experience.
- 5+ years of management experience required.
- Experience working in comprehensive managed health care plan environment required.
- Experience with claims reserving techniques and premium rate development.
- Familiarity with typical development of and uses of health plan risk adjustment methodologies.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and/or oversee use of complex cost modeling tools.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple activities with high degree of independence.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional local health plan leadership team.
- Experience working in Managed Medicaid and/or Medicare plan preferred.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you