Arlington VA 22206 AFSC Magellan Federal
Job DescriptionPerform all life-cycle payroll transactions and activities to ensure the processing of an accurate and timely payroll for all employees. Responsible for compliance with all regulations governing payroll as defined by the Internal Revenue Service, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Social Security Administration, state and local taxing jurisdictions and any other government body with authority governing payroll. Responsible for understanding and supporting company and payroll policies.
- Analyzes, reviews for completeness and enters data, processes and monitors payroll and payroll-related transactions and initiates corrections as needed.
- Performs peer-reviews and audits other team members work to ensure accuracy as needed.
- Performs gross-to-net calculations as required to review and validate payroll data and output.
- Complies with, processes and administers all child support notices, creditor garnishments, and IRS/State tax levies in a timely manner and ensures compliance by providing timely responses to interrogatories.
- Responsible for applying interfaces (EIBs) to Workday.
- Responsible for calculating and entering adjustments to employee earnings and tax records.
- Responsible for reviewing and validating all reports identified on the Payroll Processing Checklist and making corrections if errors or issues are found.
- Responsible for knowing how to process payroll (first calculation, retro calculation, second calculation, and close/settle) and ensuring all reports or those specifically assigned on the Payroll Processing Checklist are worked timely and accurately.
- Is aware of and applies Payroll SOX controls and ensures processes are being followed to ensure compliance.
- Responsible for correctly calculating payments made to beneficiaries/estates of deceased employees. Understands and explains taxability of such payments and both W-2 and Form 1099-Misc reporting in both year of and year after death.
- Provides excellent customer service through timely research and resolution for customer inquiries presented directly to Payroll assigned by the Human Resources Resource Team; keeps current with assigned cases.
- Maintains current working knowledge of Workday and participate in testing of semi-annual upgrades as needed.
- Assists in identifying problem trends and recommends potential solutions and identify training needs for employees and managers.
General Job Information
Job FamilyHuman Resources Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date2/18/2019
Date Requisition Created3/22/2019
EducationBachelors: Accounting, Bachelors: Finance
License and Certifications - RequiredFPC - Fundamental Payroll Certification - Enterprise
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Workday payroll knowledge preferred.
- 3+ years' payroll experience in a multi-state environment.
- Must be willing to prepare and pass the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) exam within one year from the date of hire.
- Intermediate understanding of payroll fundamentals, including but not limited to payroll accounting, unemployment tax, direct deposit, relocation, stock purchase plans, and record retention.
- Knowledge of all annual maximums as related to social security and Medicare, 401(k) and 401(k) limits.
- Working knowledge of Form W-4 and the impact to net pay.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Strong customer service skills including timely follow-up on outstanding issues/problems.
- Problem solver with ability to analyze a situation, determine alternatives and establish the appropriate course of action.
- Effective, professional verbal and written communication skills and comfortable communicating with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to perform tasks with minimal oversight and work under pressure while adhering to tight deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Display decision-making skills that support company and payroll policies.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More