Business Intelligence Specialist Senior
Glen Allen VA 23060 Suite 500
Job DescriptionDeliver business intelligence objectives including information delivery and data analytics projects with the goal of empowering and enabling business users with actionable information. Expectations include independently analyzing, designing, and developing business intelligence and analytics solutions using coding standards and protocol in close partnership with business, architecture, and IT leaders; as well as, mentoring junior staff by providing guidance and design specifications.
- Independently creates solutions that provide accurate information quickly to the organization.
- Analyzes, designs and builds reports, dashboards or other business intelligence components as needed.
- Responsible for development initiatives that may drive the creation of new data assets or information exchange to support the creation of decision support applications or business intelligence/analytics solutions.
- Work closely with other staff to identify levels of effort and task dependencies as assigned by the Manager.
- Provides technical guidance on the creation of database tables, objects, assets and/or cubes utilizing commonly accepted methodologies and best practices for dimensional modeling and normal forms. Leads the creation of data marts as needed.
- Trains and mentors’ business intelligence and analytics staff on use of new technologies, design and development approaches and the application of established standards and best practices for business intelligence development and data design.
- Collaborates with other developers on the application of standards and best practices and contributes to the evolution of best practices and standards aimed at improving scalability, performance and maintainability; as well as, mentoring junior staff on the use and value of those standards.
- Oversees and/or participates in the research and evaluation of new business intelligence, analytics and/or data visualization technologies. Determines the best technologies to use for our environment considering future direction, risk, consistency and return on investment. Considers the technology changes that have taken place over the years and helps project the trends for the future. Trains and mentors programming staff on use of newly acquired/adopted technologies.
- Creates architecture and/or design documents that may be needed to initiate new development efforts, which may come from knowledge of the overall environment or incoming requirements and specifications. Reviews incoming projects to determine if existing technologies/capabilities can support the needs of the incoming request.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively or autonomously (based on the situation) on the design, creation and maintenance of metadata layers that provide easy to understand and accurate representations of our physical data structures that allow the organization's user communities to derive value and insights from our data assets.
- Will support, either through consultation, coaching, mentoring or by specifically performing the necessary tasks independently, the analysis, designs and development of reports, dashboards or data sources as needed.
- Maintain communication with customers, internal and external, to facilitate analysis and troubleshooting for production issues or to ensure high levels of customer focus relating to business intelligence and analytics solutions.
General Job Information
TitleBusiness Intelligence Specialist Senior
Job FamilyGeneral Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date3/12/2019
Date Requisition Created3/4/2019
EducationGED, High School
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
ResponsibilitiesPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS?Education: Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.Prior work experience: Prior experience as a report programmer /ETL specialist in support of large-scale data warehouse and reporting projects (2 TB and above). Experience leading and guiding teams of 3-5 technical members. Experience researching and implementing new technological solutions in a business setting. Prefer experience using multiple databases and tools and using leading or bleeding edge technologies. Knowledge and skills: Familiarity with a broad range of database and Business Intelligence environments: IBM Cognos, Oracle and SQL Server database being required. Working, hands-on knowledge of data warehousing and business intelligence concepts, including various forms of modeling (dimensional and relational) and warehousing strategies. The ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies while considering the business needs and direction.MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS?Education: BA/BSExperience: 5-8yrs.Equivalent combination of experience and education is acceptable?
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every employee must understand, comply and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their position.