Job DescriptionLeads the underwriting function for all products within associated business units. Responsible for the assessment of corporate risk and the development of new business and renewal business rates. Responsible for the development and adherence to corporate underwriting policy through leading the approval process on rates being provided to customers. Responsible for insuring that required corporate profit margins are included in prices to customers.
- Leads the professional underwriting staff to assure that the underwriting procedures applied to new and existing Magellan businesses are in accordance with the overall corporate financial goals of the organization. Develops and presents for approval by senior management corporate underwriting policy.
- Reviews utilization and cost trends and other assumptions that are used in pricing models to ensure accurate interpretation of data. Evaluates cost impact of new product initiatives and assesses risk associated with each.
- Provides recommendations on product and customer rates for review, discussion and approval of senior management team including CEO, CFO and others as defined by policy. Secures commitment from business partners to achieve operational outcomes necessary to achieve cost savings assumed in underwriting projections
- Interacts with clients/customers and internal staff to resolve issues related to information provided and request for proposal language and response expectations.
- Sets priorities for underwriting projects working with business unit leadership and finance staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleVP, Actuarial Pricing
Job FamilyFinance Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date3/20/2019
Date Requisition Created3/20/2019
EducationBachelors (Required), Masters
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- 12+ years qualifying work experience.
- Strong knowledge of underwriting principles in a managed care environment.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to self-start and work independently.
- Good analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and must be able to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Willingness to learn new product lines and adapt to changing environment.
- Strong working knowledge Microsoft Office Product suite, specifically Excel, and experience with managing large data sets with tools such as MS Access.
- Actuarial pricing experience required
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you