Physician Clinical Reviewer - Interventional Pain Management
Job DescriptionKey member of the utilization management team, and provides timely medical review of service requests that do not initially meet the applicable medical necessity guidelines. Routinely interacts with physicians, leadership and management staff, other Physician Clinical Reviewers (PCR), and health plan members and staff whenever a physician`s input is needed or required.
Directs daily involvement in the following utilization management functions:
- Reviews all cases in which clinical determinations cannot be made by the Initial Clinical Reviewer.
- Discusses determinations with requesting physicians or ordering providers, when available, within the regulatory timeframe of the request by phone or fax.
- Provides clinical rationale for standard and expedited appeals.
- Provides assistance and act as a resource to Initial Clinical Reviewers as needed to discuss cases and problems.
- Utilizes medical/clinical review guidelines and parameters to assure consistency in the MD review process so as to reflect appropriate utilization and compliance with SBU`s policies/procedures, as well as URAC and NCQA guidelines.
- Ensures documentation of all communications with medical office staff and/or MD provider is recorded in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participates in on-going training per inter-rater reliability process.
- Assists the Senior Medical Director in research activities/questions related to the Utilization Management process, interpretation, guidelines and/or system support.
- On a requested basis, reviews appeal cases and/or attends hearings for discussion of utilization management decisions.
- On a requested basis, may function as Medical Director for select health plans or regions, assuming overall accountability for utilization management while working in conjunction with the Senior Medical Director.
General Job Information
TitlePhysician Clinical Reviewer - Interventional Pain Management
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date11/5/2018
Date Requisition Created11/5/2018
License and Certifications - RequiredDO - Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) - Physician, MD - Physician, State Licensure and Board Certified (ABMS or Specialty Board) - Physician
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Familiarity with the principles and procedures of utilization management as practiced in managed care organizations, experience with cost benefit analysis, quality assurance and the continuous quality improvement process is desirable.
- Current, unrestricted license to practice medicine or chiropractic in one or more states of the United States.
- Board Certified by one of the following: the American Board of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine (ABPRM), American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA).
- A licensed Physician practicing as one of the following: Anesthesiologist, pain management.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
“I receive a high level of support from our Senior Management Team to execute on our vision. They are always accessible and approachable, something I’ve found to be very unique to Magellan.”