Initial Review Pharmacy Technician
Job DescriptionPlays a key role in medical and pharmacy management initiatives critical to the company achieving revenue goals and operational objectives. Responsible for executing utilization management programs on behalf of health plan/payor customers, while utilizing additional clinical knowledge pertaining to a set list of managed medications across all health plans, with additional training for each medication and therapeutic class. Primary activities center on reviewing both prospective and retrospective requests for therapeutic appropriateness using sound clinical criteria. Responsible for making and receiving calls to and from physicians, patients, and pharmacies to gather additional clinical information to determine medication reimbursement. Recommendations will be based on an in-depth understanding of specific specialty medications and industry guidelines, on both pre- and post-service requests. Coordinates with operations, clinical, medical, reporting and other internal departments as needed.
- Reviews pertinent patient information and checks appropriateness using clinical criteria. Makes approval recommendations on all services that meet clinical review criteria. Refers all cases not meeting clinical criteria to pharmacist clinical reviewer.
- Practices and maintains the principles of utilization management by adhering to the company policies and procedures. Upholds clinical integrity of pharmaceutical solutions by participating in on-going training programs to ensure quality performance in compliance with applicable standards and regulations. Expert within the organization.
- Conducts Program Integrity Audits including outreach and review of medical records to audit authenticity of provider response during Prior Authorization and reporting results to client.
- Assists with the documentation and implementation of both written and verbal communications to physicians/prescribers and assists in the maintenance of the edits and data elements that support the edits.
- Available for consultation in pharmacy related questions to resolve claims submission related to medication edits.
- Contacts physicians/prescribers to obtain pertinent clinical history/information. Provides optimum customer service through professional/accurate communication while maintaining NCQA and health plan`s required timeframes.
- Regularly reviews and monitors information on pended claims identified as outliers by internal and/or external analysis of pharmacy claims data.
- Supports Intake call volume and order entry if necessary.
- Determines eligibility for medication reimbursement based upon established clinical criteria and clinical knowledge and enters approvals or denials in the system.
- Electronically documents both written and verbal communications with physicians, their staff, cardholders, and pharmacies.
- Escalates medical exception requests to nurse, pharmacist or physician on the utilization review clinical team when further review is necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleInitial Review Pharmacy Technician
Job FamilyPharmacy Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date2/11/2019
Date Requisition Created2/11/2019
EducationA Combination of Education and Work Experience May Be Considered., Associates, Bachelors
License and Certifications - RequiredCPT/LPT/PTCB/RPT, Pharmacy Technician, State Requirements - Pharmacy
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Oncology pharmacy or other clinical pharmacy experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of pharmacy experience without a Bachelors degree OR 2 years of pharmacy experience with a Bachelors degree in Science, Health, Medical or related field.
- Pharmacy Technician certification required (CPhT), registration with a State Board of Pharmacy; must remain in good standing.
- Specialty or retail pharmacy experience, previous reimbursement experience, and/or working in a health plan/health care setting.
- Experience as Pharmacy Technician, Utilization Management or Customer Service in a high-volume, multi-functional call center environment.
- Must be comfortable with using computers and the internet; basic skills with Microsoft office products and ability to quickly learn proprietary systems, typing.
- Strong team orientation with respect for all members.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- People skills are essential that allow for the successful consultation with physicians, prescribers and pharmacists and for successful collaboration with company employees and external vendors who do not directly report to this position.
- Analytic skills which can translate into practical and pragmatic recommendations.
- In-depth knowledge of specialty injectable prescription drugs, disease states, health plan formulary management techniques and medical terminology.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you