Military & Family Life Counselor (School), Naval Submarine Base New London, CT
Groton CT 06340 MFLC Naval Sub Base New London
Job DescriptionCandidates must be licensed at the independent practice level in the state of Connecticut
This position has the primary responsibility of providing the full breadth of Child and Youth Behavioral (CYB) counseling services to children of all ages of military service members and their families at military installations. These services may include non medical counseling, training/health and wellness presentations, consultation with parents, personnel at child daycare centers and schools, and consultation to installation command regarding behavioral health issues affecting children and youth. CYB counselors will be assigned to DoDEA schools and community schools and will need to have experience working in a school setting to qualify for school position. CYB counselors will also be assigned to youth programs, summer camps, and on demand assignments. The counselors work closely with the installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of the installation.
• Provides non medical, short term, solution focused, counseling directly to children and youth of service members.
• Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation, action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as appropriate), and follow-up as indicated.
• CYB counselors will also have a focus on supporting the staff and personnel of CDCs, DoDEA and community schools, youth programs and summer camps as well as providing parent training and guidance.
• The CYB counselor will provide training and health and wellness presentations, participate in health fairs and other base/installation activities focused on children and youth. Enters counselor activity data on a daily basis through smart phone, web, or fax to assure that reporting is accurate from assigned installation while maintaining confidentiality and anonymity of service / family member.
• Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and recognize the program to be confidential.
• Creates a presence in child and youth settings; makes self available to children, youth, and staff. When working with children counselor must abide by line of site protocol.
• Establishes and maintains working relationships with community resources focused on children and youth and provides appropriate linkages.
• Partners with POC to provide CYB services in a manner that addresses the needs of the installation/facility. Develops an excellent working relationship with the installation/facility POC.
• Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations according to DoD protocol and staffs the cases with Regional Supervisor/Regional Director.
• Communicates with Regional Supervisor and participates in regular individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding trends and issues on the installations and in facilities to which they are assigned.
• The CYB will respond to critical incidents and special requests as directed by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager. The CYB will flex schedule to respond to urgent requests as needed.
• Participates in regular in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other contract activities as assigned/appropriate.
General Job Information
TitleMilitary & Family Life Counselor (School), Naval Submarine Base New London, CT
Job FamilyClinical Services Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date9/19/2018
Date Requisition Created6/27/2018
EducationMasters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - RequiredCurrent licensure required for this position that meets State, Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements. - Care Mgmt, LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor - Care Mgmt, Must be an independently licensed behavioral health clinician. - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
ResponsibilitiesMinimum 2 years of post-masters supervised clinical experience.Requires ability to engage and communicate with military members or children as assigned, in order to accomplish job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any physical location on a military installation and/or within a school setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other military base conditions.Due to the nature of working on military installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply with various site-specific requirements to work at designated locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need to have certain current immunizations or vaccinations and provide record of receipt.- Ability to prove US Citizenship. - Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused child and youth counseling methods. - School assigned counselors must have past work experience in a school setting to qualify for assignment.- Prior military service/military family member and/or strong familiarity with military culture.- Must meet the Magellan MFLC CYB criteria for experience with children and youth and specialty in child and adolescent development/psychology.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you