Job DescriptionAre you seeking meaningful work with people who care?
Magellan Health is seeking a Senior Underwriter. The ideal candidate will have five-plus years of experience as an underwriter, with in-depth knowledge of a managed care organization and/or health insurance. In this role, you will manage and query large data sets as well as create reports using SQL, Oracle, and Tableau. Excellent communications skills, the ability to to think outside the box, and be a self-starter are key attributes in the ideal candidate.
Join Magellan and help us turn fragmented care into focused care, empowering 1 in 10 Americans to lead healthier, more vibrant lives every day.
- Responsible for the development of financial and programmatic cost models for multiple product lines including, behavioral health, radiology, pharmacy, Medicaid.
- Assists in product development and developing long and short term financial implications of new products.
- Applies underwriting procedures to new and existing business. Achieves overall corporate financial goals by applying appropriate pricing methodologies.
- Analyzes claims detail data from multiple in-house claims processing systems, as well as analyzing external claims data in various formats.
- Meets deadlines and assist with the fulfillment of financial requirements for RFPs (Request for Proposals).
- Works with other Magellan employees and responds to requests for other areas in the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Job Information
TitleSenior Underwriter - Remote Opportunity
Job FamilyFinance Group
CountryUnited States of America
FLSA StatusUnited States of America (Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date9/17/2018
Date Requisition Created9/14/2018
License and Certifications - Required
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
- Knowledge of underwriting principles in a managed care environment.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Ability to self-start and work independently.
- Good analytical, reasoning and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and must be able to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Willingness to learn new product lines and adapt to changing environment.
- Strong working knowledge Microsoft Office Product suite, specifically Excel, and experience with managing large data sets with tools such as MS Access.
- Actuarial pricing experience required.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled
Top 5 reasons to work at Magellan
Meaningful Work With People Who Care
At Magellan Health you can do meaningful work and feel confident that you matter in an organization that makes a real difference in the world - one that cares deeply and uses its employees’ collective insight as a competitive advantage.Read More
We are Compassionately Curious
Magellan Health is a place where we listen with real empathy. It’s one of our biggest strengths. It helps us to support each other and develop innovative solutions for the fastest growing, most complex areas of healthcare.Read More
We are Better Together
We rely on our innate ability to work as a high-functioning collaborative team to facilitate compassionate care to all of our members. With such interdependency comes trust, challenge and innovation.Read More
We believe work and life should flow together in unison. We offer resources that match your professional development, a culture that welcomes your ideas, and unparalleled flexibility to fit work around your life.Read More
Be your best at Magellan Health. We’re a collective of remarkably motivated and driven professionals. As a team, we’re proud of the high standards we set for each other and we’re continually inspired to do our best work.Read More
When you sayLife @ Magellan
To be the best you have to work with the bestWe hear you